New Distro and a Howto question

Austin Godber austin.godber@asu.edu
Thu, 4 May 2000 02:52:32 -0700

On Thu, May 04, 2000 at 01:19:06AM -0700, der.hans wrote:
> On Thu, 4 May 2000, Austin Godber wrote:
> > See a few lines down where is says default runlevel.  Change the 2 to a 3
> > should work.  Or you can just yank out the link to /etc/init.d/xdm from
> > /etc/rc2.d/  But I dont think thats the nice way to do it ... then you
> > have kind of violated the whole runlevel thing.
>
> Well, that's the thing. 2 should give you full functionality, but no X. X
> should be started with runlevel 3 or 5. 2 being with X and 3 w/o is like
> walking before we crawl :).

Really?  I didn't know how it was "supposed" to go.  Is that defined
somewhere?  Is this whole runlevel/init.d thing a System V thing?  It does
end up being disorienting for anyone who goes from distribution to
distribution.  Since what they put in those directories end up changing
from one to the other.

	Or is it just administrator preference?

--
Austin Godber