New Distro and a Howto question

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Thu, 4 May 2000 00:59:09 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 4 May 2000, Sean Roe wrote:

> It doesn't come with all the shovelware that come with RH.

I just installed rh 6.2 over the weekend and was distressed about how
little the dist has. "apt-get update && apt-get install <package>" makes
for a good sized dist :).

> It seems more stable, weird things don't happen at high loads...yet.
> It seems to be better laid out then RH....no rc1 ect....
>
> I like it, I can configure just the stuff I want and roll my own so to speak.
>
> But I have a stupid question.  After I installed it, it automagically
> starts up in X.  While this would be fine for some, I don't want to
> start X unless I need it.  I rememeber something about the inittab and
> runlevels.  Currently it is set to default to 2.  How do I get it to
> start with out X running?

Yank the soft links for *xdm* out of /etc/rc2.d/. Same for kdm and gdm if
they're in there. Foolish that it's doing that in runlevel 2. Hadn't
noticed that before.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.OpNIX.com
#  Help Jerry Lewis stamp out M$...oops that's MDA - der.hans