VDSL April 5th!

Mike Cantrell yomahz@devnull.org
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 19:48:53 -0700

Joel Hanger wrote:

> However, xDSL uses dynamic ips. I don't know of any way around this
> problem, except if
> I worked @ uswest as a sysadmin I could push the ip into the dns servers
> everytime the ip
> changes. However, I don't have that luxury :P   Has anyone had a similar
> situation or does
> anyone know of a solution?  Is it possible to keep the ips and have 1
> box on the network use
> the ip I use for my web server?  Any help is greatly appreciated!
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Joel Hanger

DSL doesn't use Dynamic IP's... your ISP does. You can purchase static IP's
from US West (you have to be bridged instead of a ppp connect) or you can
use another provider  and just use US West as the carrier. If you're
running vDSL, you will probably want to stay with uswest.net though because
you'll get screwed on the bandwidth charges from other ISP's if you want to
take full advantage of vDSL's capabilities.

Mike Cantrell