Speedchoice

Mike Cantrell yomahz@devnull.org
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 21:41:56 -0700

It's absolutely awful. I had it about 6 months ago and had to drop it. I was
reasonably happy with the half duplex but when I switched to the 2 way.... ugh.
Lot's of packet loss and latency fluctuation. I couldn't keep a secure shell
open to work for more than 5 minutes and it was rare to finish a FTP download.
When I talked to their support techs, I told them what was happening and they
told me:

"Oh, you're using telnet and FTP, that requires a constant connection... you
need to go back to the half duplex method."

I said, "So what you're telling me is that it's not good for doing anything but
viewing web pages and it's not even very good for that?".

He says, "Well, you should have told the sales person when you signed up.".

We have a client at work that is a re-seller for speedchoice and we're trying
to integrate our software with their network and we can't because it's at about
50% packet loss a lot of the time. They are a re-seller for speedchice and
we've talked them into dropping speedchoice in favor of DSL and a reputable
ISP.

Needless to say, it's the lousiest ISP I've ever dealt with and that's rather
harsh words.

Sorry but I'm a bit bitter,
Mike Cantrell