routing problems

Mike Cantrell yomahz@devnull.org
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 21:48:40 -0700

Sorry if this email is inappropriate for the general discussion list but
the the "having problems" link anchor on the plug website is broken and
none of the links on the page look appropriate
(http://plug.phoenix.az.us/mail-list.shtml#problems).

I'm about to pull all of may damn hair out with this problem and I am
looking for some outside ideas. Here's the deal:

Cisco 675 DSL router
Mandrake 7.0

I can't route to other networks when I use the DSL router as the
gateway. It worked for quite a while but suddenly stopped (with no
changes from my end). when I try to look at the routing table with
'netstat -r' it shows all the routes and then hangs just before the DSL
router's entry. It just hangs there forever.. If I remove the route
(route del default), the route command doesn't hang anymore. If I re-add
the route (route add default gw 10.0.0.1) it just hangs again. I can
ping the router and it seems OK. The strange thing is that the router
works fine if I reboot into win98 (I had to boot into windows to send
this email).

Not being a network expert, I'm a bit perplexed. I know (or have read
somewhere [must be correct if I read it right :) ] that some OS's rely
on an "active" router to respong to routed request's with some sort of
ACK while others are happy with a "passive" route with no response from
routed on the router. Could this have some sort of relation to my
problem or am I even more confused than I think I am?

Thanks,
Mike Cantrell