HOW MUCH DOES THE DSL HARDWARE COST?

Kevin O'Connor kevin_oconnor.geo@yahoo.com
Sun, 19 Mar 2000 22:41:06 -0700

	When a company, such as COVAD, offers service, I assume that they are
acting as more than just an ISP for DSL. Are they just sub-leasing the
line from US-Pest ? Are all repairs and upgrades to the line( or lack
thereof ) still in the hands of US-Pest ?

If I sound bitter it's because I am. We just got our line repaired for
the second time in less than three weeks. We are about midway between
the two closest COs and the prospects of ever getting DSL look dismal.

Thanks,
	Kevin

kallen3@icircus.net wrote:

> Costs will vary. The Cisco 675 external router runs around $199 but US
> West will run special where the cost for the router will be $0 to $50 (you
> do not want the internal). Then there is the cost for the service
> itself. And yes there are other DSL providers, COVAD is one that comes to
> mind and there will be more as uswest complies with line
> de-regulations. But those providers are usually more expensive for the
> service and the speed they provide are lower than the entry speed of 256k by
> megabit (uswest) from what I've seen.
>

> > Can someone please tell me the cost associated with buying equipment for
> > having DSL at home, and where I can get it? Do I have to go through
> > uswest to get everything set up?

Kevin O'Connor

"Waving away a cloud of smoke, I look up, and am blinded by a bright,
white
light. It's God. No, not Richard Stallman, or Linus Torvalds, but God.
In
a booming voice, He says: "THIS IS A SIGN. USE LINUX, THE FREE UNIX
SYSTEM
FOR THE 386."
(Matt Welsh)