Auto Running

D. Taylor dtaylor@www.dssolutions.com
Sun, 19 Mar 2000 12:16:45 -0700 (MST)

After the kernel loads, it runs a pre-determined
executable.  This executable can be just about
anything--a simple shell (/bin/sh), an installer
program, or, /sbin/init.  init reads its config
file, /etc/inittab, to determine exactly what
children it should run, and how they should be
run.  It is within /etc/inittab that you'll find
the rc script(s) that rifle through the K* and S*
scripts in the init.d directory to (K)ill and
(S)tart services for a particular init "run level".

The "run level" defines the state of the Unix system--
halted, rebooting, initializing, single-user mode
(think "safe mode"), and multiuser mode.

init is the granddaddy of all processes.  If you
do a

     ps afxl | less

to view the parent/child relationship of all
processes, look at the "PPID" column.  You'll see
that if you go back far enough in the "family tree"
that everything leads back to PID (Process
IDentifier) 1, init.