external serial modem

Mike Sheldon msheldon@desertraven.com
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 22:30:56 -0700

Yes, there is a crossover serial cable, more commonly known as a null-modem
cable. They're great for connecting one system to another for use as a
serial console.

Michael J. Sheldon
Internet Applications Developer
Phone: 480.699.1084
http://www.desertraven.com/
PGP Key Available on Request

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-discuss-admin@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-admin@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us]On Behalf Of arson
smith
Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2000 21:57
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: RE: external serial modem

Ok, we think we narrowed it down to the wrong kind
of serial cable.  I am trying to get a co-worker hooked
up in Washington DC with a samba file and print server
that I can do administration on from here.  He is a
linux newbie as in never used it before.  I am walking
him over the phone to install this modem on linux.  I
finaly had him try it on his laptop (win98) and he
was unable to get it to work there either.  He says
now that the type of serial cable he is suppose to have
is diffrent then the one he got.

Is there a crossover type serial cable?  arnt most serial
cables preaty much straight passthrough?  Ohh well.  We
will replace the cable and see if it works...

Bill Warner