network problem revisited

Bob George r1gaiasmxg2npayqoejzl@lpwa.com
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 13:21:12 -0700

"Mike Starke" <mgcon@neta.com> wrote:

> I really feel  stupid now: I never thought about
> any settings on the NT box.

I'm not sure why my earlier response hasn't shown up:

--- cut here --- cut here ---
How are the Win9x PCs set up for WINS? They should point at the NT server
and have a good route there (sounds like that part is working). Also, is the
WINS service running on the NT box?

Check out the Samba documentation. It has far better documentation of the
Windows network browsing approach than anything else I've found. I think
your problem is that, by default, browsing is limited to a single subnet.
Without a WINS (sort of DNS for MS Windows networks), workstations just
broadcast to find each other. I suspect that if you have more than one Win9x
PC on 192.168.3.0 with sharing enabled, they can see each other, but nothing
on other subnets.

A quick check would be to move the NT box onto 192.168.3.0 just to make sure
it works *without* routing in between. If it does, then WINS should fix your
problem. You could also try putting in the UNC for the server in the
Start->Run option on the Windows boxen (ie. \\SERVERNAME or
\\192.168.2.serverip) If that works, then Windows networking is OK, you just
need WINS.

Putting WINS/Samba on the Linux box could also help (Not to mention
replacing NT with Linux/Samba! :)

Just curious: Why masquerade between two private IP subnets?

- Bob