Phoenix DSL HOW-TO?

root jlf@magusnet.gilbert.az.us
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 06:59:48 -0700

It seems like on Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 12:30:20AM -0700, Sean Roe scribbled:
Orig Msg> I believe you are mistaken here.  Dsl and POTS (Plain old telephone service) use the same copper.  they are ridding in different
Orig Msg> frequencies (?sp).  That is why there is a limitation on distance.  RaDSL (Us Worst) is limited to 18000 feet from the CO where as
Orig Msg> other xDSL technoligies (SDSL- Rythems) can go upto 26000 feet depending on a bunch of factors. I am currently switching from
Orig Msg> RaDSL to SDSL (and getting a second phone line in the process) in the hopes of getting better sustainable transfer rates.
Orig Msg>

Hold on while I run outside...

I have 1 copper pair assigned to DSL and 1 copper pair
assigned to POTS.
My FlowPoint 2200 Router says I have SDSL.
http://www.adsl.com/general_tutorial.html
http://www.3com.com/technology/tech_net/white_papers/500624.htm
The Telecommunications Handbook, Volume 3
verifies that this uses one copper pair.

For POTS wiring see:
http://www.hometech.com/learn/telwire.html
The Telecommunications Handbook, Volume 3

The main reason most people have to get a new phone line
is that USWest[spit] runs most residential phone lines thru
a SLC-96 multiplexer at the subdivision.
That unit is *not* compatible with any DSL and the second phone
line is ususally installed to bypass the SLC-96 unit.

Jean Francois Sends...
President & CEO MagusNet, Inc.
MagusNet.com, MagusNet.Gilbert.AZ.US
CTO EBIZ Enterprises, Inc.
TheLinuxStore.com, TheLinuxLab.com, LinuxWired.net
480-778-1120 - Office
602-770-JLF1 - Cellular