Windows manager

Rick Rosinski rick@rickrosinski.com
Sat, 11 Mar 2000 05:22:14 -0700

Installing another window manager is not too hard.
If you have a tarball, you can unzip it by doing "tar xvfz file.tar.gz".
Then change to the directory created by untarring the file.
Then do
./configure
make
make install

You want to read the README files for the name of the window manager's
executable, it will be important below.

Then, you go to your home directory (mine is /root)
Look inside your ".xinitrc" file and you might find something like
"exec startkde".  This starts KDE.
Replace it with "exec wmaker", "exec enlightenment", or whatever the name of
the window manager's executable is.

When you start X, the new window manager will boot (and KDE will not even be
loaded, so you can leave KDE on the system without it interfering with
anything).

If you want to remove kde (and you are not using RPM), just look for the
/opt/kde directory, and delete it.  All kde libraries are contained in there
also (and you don't have to hunt them down in /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib).
to use RPM, you have to do "rpm -e kdelibs", "rpm -e kdebase", etc, etc. for
all kde packages.

Then you can kill $HOME/.kde to delete the kde settings from your system.

Good luck.