Linux Today Security Letter for March 4, 2000

J. Francois jlf@magusnet.gilbert.az.us
Sat, 4 Mar 2000 18:51:10 -0700

If you haven't already subscribed, please do so.
I would prefer not to annoy people on the list that
already get this.

NOTE: Last call for resumes.
      I start interviewing next week.

TODAY'S LINUX SECURITY NEWS:
LINUX JOURNAL: THE SKINNY ON BACKUPS AND DATA RECOVERY, PART 1

"In the next few columns, I want to discuss backup strategies,
tools, and ways to make the whole process a bit less unpleasant."

COMPLETE STORY:
http://www2.linuxjournal.com/articles/sysadmin/023.html

LINUX JOURNAL: TRIPWIRE OPENS UP "BEST OF BREED" SECURITY TOOL

"... one of the especially significant aspects of the Tripwire
announcement is that the company is providing source code for
its flagship product, as opposed to merely open sourcing older
versions..."

COMPLETE STORY:
http://www2.linuxjournal.com/articles/business/034.html

WIRED: UPDATE: U.S. WANTS LESS NET ANONYMITY

"Police should be able to determine the source of hacker attacks
or 'anonymous emails that contain bomb threats,' states the 200
KB document prepared by a high-level working group chaired by
Attorney General Janet Reno."

COMPLETE STORY:

UPSIDE: NEW SITE ON LINUX SECURITY

"Last month's denial of service uproar has intensified attention
to Internet security. Coincidentally... last month also saw the
debut of LinuxSecurity.com, a new website completely dedicated
to Linux operating system security issues."

COMPLETE STORY:
http://www.upside.com/Open_Season/38c053490.html

ROOTPROMPT.ORG: THE TOOLS AND METHODOLOGIES OF THE SCRIPT KIDDIE
-- KNOW YOUR ENEMY

"Sooner or later your systems and networks will be probed..."

COMPLETE STORY:
http://rootprompt.org/article.php3?article=159

Jean Francois Sends...
President & CEO MagusNet, Inc.
MagusNet.com, MagusNet.Gilbert.AZ.US
CTO EBIZ Enterprises, Inc.
TheLinuxStore.com, TheLinuxLab.com, LinuxWired.net
480-778-1120 - Office
602-770-JLF1 - Cellular