network question

Rusty Carruth rustyc@user2.inficad.com
Thu, 16 Mar 100 10:11:10 -0700 (MST)

> get more basic...can you ping any of the other computers from your Windows
> NT Box?  can you ping the linux box from your Windows NT Box.

Well, that is a good question, but I think the problem is not routing
IP, but routing Samba.

> > [mailto:plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us]On Behalf Of Mike
> > Starke
> >
> > I'm stumped. I have two networks:
> > 192.168.2.0/24
> > 192.168.3.0/24
> >
> > I have a NT Server on the 192.168.2.0 network. I have a linux
> > box masquerading IP's for the 192.168.3.0 network. SHouldn't
> > I be able to have my Win9X PC's log into the NT Server from the
> > 192.168.3.0 network?

you need to pass Samba traffic through whatever you are using to
do the IP routing between networks.  What is your router?  Also,
I think (now I'm starting to talk from what I *think* is right,
but I have not gotten far enough along in SMB networking to
know for sure if what I am saying is even SANE, much less RIGHT!)....
So, I *think* you will need a domain controller or something like
that to share domain info across the subnets.

Anybody know the REAL answer to that?  HOw does that work?

> > All other TCP/IP works just fine. Telnet , FTP, WWW, etc can all
> > go from 192.168.3.0/24 to 192.168.2.1 (another linux gateway) -> Internet.

this implies:

1 - don't change your default route!  Or you will lose internet.
2 - networking is ok, default-wise anyway.

you did not say if you can PING the NT network from the Win9X
network.  If so, then IP routing is ok and its just NT (SMB)
'routing' to look at.

> > Any tips?

Try looking at the SMB howto also.  (Try to get a recent one)

rusty