X-Forwarding

Kevin Buettner kev@primenet.com
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 10:20:28 -0700

On Jun 26,  9:57am, Jonathan Furrer wrote:

> Can anyone point me to some documentation on allowing specific hosts to
> connect and display on remote X servers in a passwordless fashion.

How remote are we talking about?

Are we talking about a LAN or even a company-wide intranet (where
presumably there are no firewalls to traverse)?  (And, where, there is
also enough trust that you don't feel compelled to encrypt your X
session.)

Or are we talking about tunneling through your employer's firewall
so that you can work from home or some other remote location?

If it's the former, you need to know about information contained in
the X man page, i.e, stuff about ``DISPLAY=<hostname>:<display-number>''.
You'll also want to read the xhosts and xauth man pages as well.

If it's the latter, you'll want to become familiar with the above
concepts anyway.  In addition, you should read the man pages for ssh,
ssh-agent, and ssh-add.  Once you get ssh set up properly, you will
only need to enter your pass phrase once at the start of a session.

Kevin