text formating?

sinck@ugive.com sinck@ugive.com
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 07:42:00 -0700 (MST)

\_ I am looking for a way to easily create postscript documents.
\_ I need the ability to have my .png's and .png's displayed properly.
\_
\_ I been experimenting with html2ps (perl script) to convert them from
\_ html, but have not had much luck in the output for the graphics and
\_ tables.
\_
\_ Does anyone have any suggestions (non-GUI)? Is latex worth learning?
\_ Are there conversion tools for html that I am not aware of? These
\_ are simple tech documents that need to be in both postscript and PDF
\_ format.  The ps2pdf perl script works quite well for me, but I need
\_ to be able to generate postscript.

As someone (Hans?) said, you'll want the EPS version of the images so
you can paste them wherever you need to...but you have to get the
other program to leave space in the ps file or you are going to have
an image on the top of the text you probably really wanted.

I don't believe (who, me look on Freshmeat first? what?) that the vast
majority ("all" if I were trusting) of the html -> postscript
converters will do the image tango correctly.

However, try the running Netscape in evil bastard mode and see if you
can trick it with the -remote commands.  I know you can get it to load
pages, but haven't tried a -remote <insert printing magic here>
command to see if it would fly.  You may also need to have the
affected netscape set up to dump to ps files....  YMMV.

Offer to give the CEO's child a $10/day job browsing and pressing the
'print to postscript file' button.  :-)

David

 http://home.netscape.com/newsref/std/x-remote.html