Corel Help

carl@marvin.qwk.net carl@marvin.qwk.net
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 18:21:48 -0600 (MDT)

Okay I installed Corel Linux Standard 1.1 on a P120 box with 64megs of
memory. It was *so* easy. But of course I can't leave well enough alone
soooo here is what I'm having problems with. If anyone can help, I'd
appricate it. I'm trying to install M16 of Mozilla. Using the installer
(I haven't tried building my own yet) requires unzip and it looks like
Corel doesn't come with unzip. Should I just download unzip and try to
install it? (so far trying to do my own installs haven't worked out so
well) I tried just aliasing gunzip to unzip but the default shell doesn't
seem to understand what I'm doing (just alias unzip "gunzip"). I thought I
was just using tcsh but hey I'm using Corel so I obviously don't know
Linux that well. <g>
 Next I wanted to install StarOffice 5.2 but that requires glib2.1 and
while I don't know what version of glib Corel is running I do know it's
not glib2.1 so I went to Corel's site thinking I could just run the
updater interface thing they have (which I'm sure when I learn how to use
it will be kewl) Nothing can't find anything to do with glib so I start
looking a Debian (corel is really just debian2.1 right?) only I couldn't
find anything there either. Lots of info about the libraries at Red hat
and Suse but I admit I don't know enough about the different flavors to
know if I can just use those or not.
  Finally the nice little "file manager" like thing Corel gives you works
perfectly for me I'm able to see both my other linux boxes and all my NT
boxes on the network. But can't seem to smbmount a drive. This is *really*
bothering me because while I don't know Linux all that well I used to be a
Unix Admin and thought I'd be able to use those (admittly rusty) skills to
make up for it. Now it seems that I can't do just about anything from the
command line (okay I'm streaching just a bit). But everythings seems to be
in weird places or just not there because the GUI tools takes care of
everything. I suspect RH and other distro *must* be closer to the UNIX I
know but *really* want to test how much I can get out of Corel. Can anyone
suggest any good books from going from Solaris to Linux? Or are they
really as similar as I thought and I should just contiue to plow through?

Anyway didn't mean to type out a book but will be thankful to any help I
you can give me.

thanks,
Carl Parrish
webmaster