new server

Charles Bullen cello@primenet.com
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 16:54:56 -0700 (MST)

I have been stuggeling with IP based virtual hosting on a Gateway Micro
server running REd Hat Linux and Apache 1.3 web server. Gateway says that
the Microserver doesnt support hosting more than 1 site. I didnt believe
them and went in and configured another IP adress on one of the Nic cards.
I can ping either IP address. I also added another virtual host entry to
the httpd.conf file. I saved the file and rebooted the computer. There
must be some proprietary software in the box because it reverted the
httpd.conf file back to what is was before and wrote a new file
httpd.conf.961719300 which contains the new configuaration.

I now want to try a difernt approach. We have and old IBM aptiva thats not
being used and I think i'll load Redhat on it. The only distribution I
have is 5.2 but it should work. I'll then host The other web site on that
machine. The site wont get much traffic.

One challange I see is that Our ISP USwest has given use 1 set of IP
Addresses and out internal lan has a different set assigned by another 3rd
party vendor. We cant change those addresses or they wil no longer support
us so I cant change those.

Is it possible to do what I want to do. I think I would have to have US
West route the IP address of the second website to our Micro server and
then forward it to the IBM running Apache with an IP in he series or our
LAN.

Unfortunatley, I have to use the resources on hand as I have no buget to
purchase anything.

Regards,

Charlie

Charlie Bullen                              cello@primenet.com

It is one of the most beautiful compensations of life, that no man can
sincerely try to help another without helping himself. -  Ralph Waldo
Emerson