OpenBSD 2.7 is out

Nathan Saper natedog@well.com
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 17:41:11 -0700 (MST)

Bill Warner writes:
 > Nathan Saper wrote:
 >

 > > By "freedom," I mean "the freedom to do whatever the hell you want to
 > > do with the software."  No matter how you look at it, the GPL puts
 > > more restrictions on the developer than BSD does.  This isn't to say
 > > that BSD is better.  I happen to prefer the GPL, largely due to the
 > > reasons you stated above.  But I think it would be hard to argue that
 > > the developer has more freedom with GPL than he/she does with BSD.  In
 > > a way, it's like Marxism vs. capitalism (GPL being Marxism, BSD being
 > > capitalism): BSD allows for more individual freedom in the short term,
 > > but the GPL allows for collective advancement, in the end making everyone free.
 > >
 > > Kinda makes you wonder why we have a capitalistic economy and a
 > > Marxist software development system. . . .
 >
 > My argument for that is that just because a country allows you to murder
 > other people does not make that country more free than one that has laws
 > governing that.

Actually, it does, at least for the murderer.  It gives a person more
freedom to act on his or her instincts.  Again, we are debating
freedom from various viewpoints.

 > also I would say the GPL is there to protect the freedom of the Code while
 > the BSD style licenses are they to protect the Coder.

I don't disagree with this.  I think it goes along with my *isms
argument.

Of course, if you follow Sartre and other existentialists, this
conversation is pointless, because part of the condition of man's
existance is that he is free.  But let's not get into that. :)