SSH/OpenSSH

Kevin Buettner kev@primenet.com
Tue, 6 Jun 2000 14:00:11 -0700

On Jun 6,  1:04pm, KeithSmith wrote:

> Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me.
> I feel like I will use OpenSSH because it is free
> and I like free stuff and am on a shoe string
> budget.

I think that's a good choice.  (It's a good choice even if you're not
on a shoe string budget.)

I'd been meaning give OpenSSH a try for some time now.  Seeing your
email reminded me (again) that I hadn't tried it.  So...  a short
while ago, I downloaded the necessary Red Hat RPMS and installed them
on one of my machines.

So far, I have not had any problems logging into any of the
remote machines that I have accounts on.  (Some of which are
only accessible via ssh.)

The one annoyance that I see (which I'd like to shut off) is
the following error message that I get when attempting to log
into some machines:

    Warning: Server lies about size of server host key: actual size is
             1023 bits vs. announced 1024.
    Warning: This may be due to an old implementation of ssh.
    Warning: /home/kev/.ssh/known_hosts, line 38: keysize mismatch for
             host primenet.com: actual 1023 vs. announced 1024.
    Warning: replace 1024 with 1023 in /home/kev/.ssh/known_hosts, line 38.

I've tried fixing the known_hosts lines as suggested, but then ssh1
(on another machine using the same (NFS mounted) know_hosts file
complains about a man in the middle attack.

So... I guess I'll have to upgrade all of my machines.  I'm going to
run a few more tests first though.

Kevin