Help with SSH2 and tunneling X?

foodog@uswest.net foodog@uswest.net
Sun, 04 Jun 2000 08:48:49 -0700

Kevin Buettner wrote:

> SSH can be made to do what you want.  In fact, usually you get
> secure X port forwarding with very little work whatsoever.  I

It works great with no tweaking as long as I've got a real
IP address on this side.

> have a hunch that the configuration on one side or the other
> has been changed to either make it harder or to out and out disallow
> it.
Could be, I set it up ;-)

> Keep in mind VNC too.  (Which can also be tunneled through ssh.)
  I tried it for accessing Winblows remotely and was really
frustrated at the instability.  I've used VMWare to run
Win95 on a work machine from here.  It works great but
_really_ sucks bandwidth.

> Also, you can set up a PPP tunnel through ssh to create a true
> VPN.   I've played around with this sort of thing in the past
> and it's really cool, but there can be some performance problems.

  I'm going to try a PPP tunnel with VTUN next.  It's pretty
easy to get going and can do compression.  If I spend some
time reading it'll be a good solution.  My problem is that
I'm not up to speed on setting up routing - I've been
exclusively a VMS/Netware weenie up 'til a bit over a year
ago.  Since I sit within whispering distance from our
network manager I've never had a need to learn about it
until now.

  Today's "wife birthday activities" so maybe I can flail at
it late tonight / early tomorrow.

Steve

--
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less
traveled by.