Help with SSH2 and tunneling X?

Kevin Buettner kev@primenet.com
Sat, 3 Jun 2000 15:18:15 -0700

On Jun 3,  1:15pm, foodog@uswest.net wrote:

> Kevin Buettner wrote:
> snip
> > Yes, setting the display to the address of your firewall and then
> > portwarding (using "ipmasqadm portfw") it to one of your internal
> > machines will work, but it's not encrypted.
>
>   I've verified it comes in as cleartext if I redirect the
> port.  Oy vey. I guess I'll have to lock down my preferred
> box and skip having a firewall until I gain more of a clue
> about VPNs.  Thanks much,
> Steve
>
> ... It just bugs me to have an extra machine just sitting
> there not _doing_ anything ;-)

SSH can be made to do what you want.  In fact, usually you get
secure X port forwarding with very little work whatsoever.  I
have a hunch that the configuration on one side or the other
has been changed to either make it harder or to out and out disallow
it.

Keep in mind VNC too.  (Which can also be tunneled through ssh.)

Also, you can set up a PPP tunnel through ssh to create a true
VPN.   I've played around with this sort of thing in the past
and it's really cool, but there can be some performance problems.