Help with SSH2 and tunneling X?

Mark Peoples hondaman@mainex1.asu.edu
Thu, 01 Jun 2000 13:16:22 -0700

I think you hit the nail on the head earlier...I think you may need to do
some funky nat stuff...I tried to do the same thing, but gave up after a few
hours. Essentially, I was trying to ssh to a machine here at work from one
of my workstations at home (1 is linux, 1 is nt, 1 is 2k)...none worked. The
display variable is set automagically on the target machine. However, I
don't think it could quite figure out how to go through the firewall on the
way back...

-----Original Message-----
From: foodog@uswest.net [mailto:foodog@uswest.net]
Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2000 12:14 PM
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: Help with SSH2 and tunneling X?

  Kevin, what I'm trying to do would go something like this:

from home:
ssh workbox
<login>
netscape &
<read mail, etc.>

Since netscape's running on the remote machine (workbox) it needs
to have a path to send the X output to my home subnet.  It's not a
matter of not having authorization to connect to my home machine's
X server, I gave it that with xhost.

Steve