Linux Programmer

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Wed, 31 May 2000 23:56:25 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 31 May 2000, Mike Sheldon wrote:

> >>On the other hand if you write VB 2-liner and you want to
> distribute that you have to have 2/3 floppies just to fit
> the supporitng libraries on it.<<
>
> No, you just have to track down the five other packages or tarballs you need
> to install in order to run your new software. I've run into more than a
> couple of programs that had some very obscure dependencies. This is one of
> the roadblocks for consumer acceptance. The consumer is not going to be
> happy with an install routine that tells them "Here's a list of other things
> you need to run this software, you're on your own from here bud." Even as an
> experienced user, I find this highly annoying.

Get debian and make sure you have decent bandwidth. It has occasional
hiccups as far as dependencies go, but it's been working well for me on
various machines for the last 8 months...

apt-get update && apt-get install whatever

It's freakin' awesome. No packages to hunt for...

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.OpNIX.com
#  If you're not learning, you're not living. - der.hans