imap server

Barnett, Blake bbarnett@bloodsystems.org
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 13:11:02 -0700

Qmail is an excellent package..  sometimes the setup can be a challenge, but
certainly nowhere near as much as sendmail can be.  I'd recommend really
paying attention to what is on the web-site.  I remember when I set it up
last, there were some issues with tcp-wrappers vs. inetd.  (been a while) I
wished I had read more on the site before slaving away at it.

*  Blake

-----Original Message-----
From: Digital Wokan [mailto:wokan@home.com]
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2000 7:34 PM
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: imap server

IMAP use was completely secondary.  POP was the primary concern.  I've
found what I believe to be an excellent solution to several problems.
Unless someone can tell me the evil that lurks within, I'm going to give
QMail a shot since it's both a POP3 and SMTP server.  I realize it's an
inetd service, but we don't plan on being a heavy traffic kind of
office.  The offices we're moving into will hold maybe 30 employees
before we have to move again anyway.
My boss gave me an untrusting look when I told him how much the mail
server I found would cost.  I told him that I'll have to sit him down
and explain the Linux mentality one of these days.  (I said "Linux"
instead of "open source" since he's heard one but not the other before.)

"J.L.Francois" wrote:

> For plain ole POP3: cucipop
> For IMAP & POP3   : imap-uw
>
> I picked imap-uw because it also appears in the ports tree for *BSD.
> The last advisory I saw on it was dated: 4-24-2000
>
> The pop only daemons seem to be your best security bet for external
> users and keep IMAP for internal use only.
>
> JLF Sends...
>
> It seems like on Sun, Jul 23, 2000 at 10:18:18PM -0700, Digital Wokan
scribbled:
> Orig Msg> I'm pitching Linux for its stability, not its price.  But I'm
also
> Orig Msg> pitching the concept of the GPL.  My primary concern is to find
a high
> Orig Msg> quality GPL'd POP3 server.  I'm not given a budget, so every
time I have
> Orig Msg> to go to the keepers of the cash, I have to justify every little
thing.
> Orig Msg> So free beer as opposed to free speech is at least helpful in
pitching
> Orig Msg> Linux as the platform since I can bypass needing to justify the
cost of
> Orig Msg> the POP3 server.  The end goal of all this is to eventually get
them off
> Orig Msg> the reliance on NT/IIS/ASP.  The bottom line is just one point
I'm
> Orig Msg> bringing to bear.  Stability is far higher on the list due to
all the
> Orig Msg> troubles we've had with our host's e-mail servers.
> Orig Msg>

Digital Wokan
Tribal mage of the electronics age
Guerilla Linux Warrior