touchy subject -> sniffit

Barnett, Blake bbarnett@bloodsystems.org
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 13:08:09 -0700

dsniff (look on freshmeat), has the capability to capture email specifically
and disseminate it from the rest of the packets.  It also has an
arpredirector especially useful for spoofing your gateway, and intercepting
traffic from specific machines or the entire network.

*  Blake

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Starke [mailto:mgcon@neta.com]
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2000 5:34 PM
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: touchy subject -> sniffit

I know this is a touchy subject for some of you, but I am
the sysadmin, and have been asked to provide some info about
a user.

I am trying to get sniffit to work, but can't seem to pick up
any packets from the Win machines.  I can sniff
my own laptop (Linux) with something like:
sniffit -p 25 -l 0 -P tcp -b -s 192.168.3.44 -F eth&
and grab some info. But the same does not work on a windows
machine. I'm looking to grab the mail sent from a PC.

I don't want to begin a long drawn out discussion 'bout privacy,
I'm all for it. But I do have a boss, and need to give what he asks
for, yet I feel dumbfounded in how.

Mike
mgcon@getnet.com
http://www.getnet.com/~mgcon