bit off topic -> NetApp

Barnett, Blake bbarnett@bloodsystems.org
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 16:44:02 -0700

During my work for legato in their High Availability department, there was a
lot of talk about these boxes.  Most of it was "I sure wish our software
supported these things."  They do some pretty nifty things, and can simplify
the life of any datacenter admin.

But the industry leader is EMC, bar-none.  They are at least 3 years ahead
of the competition, and if you can afford a netapp, then a symetrix(sp)
can't be too far off from your budget.  And let's face it, when the stock
market ranks a companies stock at #1, you have to think they are doing
something right.  Their ESN (enterprise storage network) systems are truly
amazing.  I'd really suggest comparing what netapp has to offer to EMC.

*  Blake

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Starke [mailto:mgcon@neta.com]
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2000 4:28 PM
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: bit off topic -> NetApp

HAs anyone had any experience with Network Appliances?
http://www.netapp.com

I am considering getting one installed (~450Gb filer) to help me
manage disk space a bit better. I have 2 Sun's, 10 Linux servers,
about 80 desktops and a 2 NT servers. Running a SCSI tape off of one
of their filers would sure make backup's a dream :-)

Mike
mgcon@getnet.com
http://www.getnet.com/~mgcon
Phoenix, AZ