DSL question from a newbie

Jonathan Furrer jonny@jofu.com
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 16:20:44 -0700 (MST)

I believe there may be so misunderstandings here, idsl, correct me if I'm
wrong, is the DSL technology based off ISDN in that it can reach the areas
that have ISDN, but aren't capable of getting either ADSL (USWEST) or
SDSL. IDSL is only capable of 144k and cost about twice as much as an ISDN
circuit. You decide if the dedicated vs dial-up connectivity is important
enough to pay twice as much for a line that only boasts 24kbps more. ADSL
which is the type of line offered by USWest is capable of up to 7mbs
currently all pendant on your distance from their nearest CO with a
dslam. And SDSL (the one I know least about) is capable of getting a
little further out from a CO than ADSL, but not necesarily much different
from that point on.

So, IDSL may not be what is being spoken of. Please also not that whatever
ISP you choose is capable of supporting all of these (generally, the
exception is if their hardware doesn't support l2tp) because by the time
they hit the ISP  its just recognized as your PVC most often delivered via
ATM.

Jonathan Furrer
jonny@jofu.com
http://www.jofu.com/