DSL question from a newbie

Mark Berkwitt mberkwitt@home.com
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 16:03:56 -0700

I've been using linux with my COX cable service with easy success.  I find
RedHat 6.2 is better at recognizing my network card than Windows98,
especially if I use more than one NIC at a time.  I've had recent good luck
with the Dlink 530TX.  Of course the 10Mb/s is all that my cable-modem
needs, but the price was right.  I have security concerns with cable-modem
and until I can get to installing a firewall, I don't think I'll use linux
with sensitive data.  My ZoneAlarm firewall on my Win98 (dual boot) suggests
I have at least one playful network neighbor.

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-discuss-admin@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-admin@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us]On Behalf Of
beauchampj@mindspring.com
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2000 3:40 PM
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: DSL question from a newbie

Cox cable or idsl should work if you can get linux to recognize your network
interface card.  Cox will provide you a modem and a nic if needed.  I
believe most dsl companies will as well.  Cable is shared bandwidth so if
your speed is phenomenal it may be more practical to use idsl.  At least the
size of your pipe is guaranteed.
plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us wrote:
> Hello all,    I haven't spent much time with computers since 1993.  Last
year I was
forced to swap from Mac to IBM, and now I'm starting to play with Linux on a
PII300 I picked up cheap.  I say play because I haven't' even been able to
get the thing to recognize the StarOffice CD I bought at the last PLUG
meeting, so I obviously have a way to go before I can say I 'work' with
Linux.
        Anyway, my questions are about DSL vs. cox cable modem technology.
Now
that I'm playing again, I want to play faster.  I'm looking at the Cox cable
internet and at DSLsource, but I'm open to any other suggestions.  At this
point, I don't even know if Cox can be used with Linux, and I'm a little
hesitant to sign with DSLsource, as I would be paying for the slowest speed
they offer and an IDSL modem.
Any thoughts?
Pete