DSL question from a newbie

Barnett, Blake bbarnett@bloodsystems.org
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 11:38:45 -0700

It's kind of a trade-off, I think that DSL is definately the more capable
technology.  But Cable is cheap, and you just can't beat a 1.3mb/sec
download (on a good day).  For a casual user, go with Cable, for
power-users, get a fast DSL connection.  These are the conclusions that a
number of reviews have come to, that I've read in the past.

*  Blake

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter M. Williams [mailto:PeterWilliams@worldnet.att.net]
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2000 11:33 AM
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: DSL question from a newbie

Hello all,
	I haven't spent much time with computers since 1993.  Last year I
was
forced to swap from Mac to IBM, and now I'm starting to play with Linux on a
PII300 I picked up cheap.  I say play because I haven't' even been able to
get the thing to recognize the StarOffice CD I bought at the last PLUG
meeting, so I obviously have a way to go before I can say I 'work' with
Linux.
	Anyway, my questions are about DSL vs. cox cable modem technology.
Now
that I'm playing again, I want to play faster.  I'm looking at the Cox cable
internet and at DSLsource, but I'm open to any other suggestions.  At this
point, I don't even know if Cox can be used with Linux, and I'm a little
hesitant to sign with DSLsource, as I would be paying for the slowest speed
they offer and an IDSL modem.
Any thoughts?
Pete