Something interesting about Novell

foodog@uswest.net foodog@uswest.net
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 23:15:51 -0700

  I don't have Netware 5.1 in production yet but should by
the end of Summer.

  Novell has an application called 'xconsole' that's similar
to their SPX-based rconsole.  I've gathered it's a gaping
M$-style security issue tho'.

  The console management app ("Console One") is written in
Java and I'm pretty sure they're using fvwm.   Novell's been
trying to get people excited about developing console apps
using Java for quite awhile, claiming they've got "the"
screaming-fast jvm.  I'd poke around
http://developer.novell.com for more info and sign up for
"Developernet" (free).

  10 months ago we embarked on a mission to purchase new
Netware licensing - it went through today!  I hope to be
loaded with Netware 5.x trivia in another couple of months.
Ideally that'll include a working knowledge of their 'NDS
Corporate edition for Linux' or whatever it's being called
this week.

  <I'm trying not to be a Netware evangelist here but deep
down that's my religion - ask me about my production 4.11
server that's been up for 412 days as of this morning :-) >

Steve