Something interesting about Novell

Bill Warner wwarner@direct-alliance.com
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 14:21:29 -0700

Warning the following has very little linux content but is
kind of cool.

I started my computer career doing Novell administration.
Sorry, I was young and needed the money.  Anyway I really
liked the fact that it was a dedicated server and could kick ass
at serving printers and files.  wasn't much good for anything
else but thats another gripe.   This was back on 4.1 and 4.11.
I had heard of 5.0 and that it was going to have a GUI on it
and thought that was the stuipidest thing I have ever heard.

Well, here it is 5 years later and I finaly get to install a Novell
5.0 server in a class at MCC.  When the GUI first came up I
saw something that was really familiar looking.  That black
and white striped screen of X windows starting (sometimes
called the herring bone screen).  I thought wow this must be
X windows based this might acually be kind of cool.  After
some more digging and a reboot I find that it is acually loading
Xfree86 as its x server and useing java x applications for the
administration on what looks almost like fvwm.

Is there anyone more knowlageable about this and any advanced
capabilitys and maybe intergration with linux?  Can I export
say my nw5 DISPLAY to land Novell apps on my linux box?

Bill Warner