Netscape nightmare, need help

KeithSmith compunerd@gci-net.com
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 11:55:43 -0700

Hi Mark,

Mark Berkwitt wrote:

> Is the Netscape Address book of any use to anyone?
>
> Now, whenever I try to open the Address book via menu it crashes
> Netscape.

I've had no problem with the address book.

> If I could, I would like to delete just the Address book and regenerate
> it.  What addresses I have in it are minimal and can be easily replaced.
>
> If I do an uninstall of netscape and then an install, will that likely
> fix these problems?

Sure could be worth a try.  That's what I would do, however maybe
someone has a better idea.

> Several other problems I have with Netscape are as follows:
>
> 1. Address book never opened with the suggested Alt+Shft+2 key combo.

While reading your email I tried this keystroke combo and got what I
think is the email header info.

> 2. Automating an address entry to a new message without typing it in is
> clumsy at best.
>
> 3. The <Enter> key on the keypad is non-functional in netscape.

Mine seems to work.

> 4. If I go to change the email address and server id in Preferences, the
> old email account is still downloaded instead of the new one.
>
> Do I need to go into the preferences file to get this done?

I just did this.  I use my dialup's mail server and wanted to setup a
POP on my web site host.  I switched between the two and did some
testing.  everything worked.

You need to go into preferences:

and change these

- identity:email address

- mail servers:incoming mail

- mail servers:outgoing mail (both)

Click on the okay button.

Now when you click the get mail button on the NetScape mail form you
will be prompted for your id and password.

Hope this helps.

Keith