Why Linux is Hard was Re: duplicate RPMs installed

Donn Shumway donn@linuxfan.com
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 20:47:34 -0700

I agree with you. I have never been of the opinion that Linux was a desktop
OS replacement. It is too hard for the average user, much less the casual
one. I use it as a dedicated server in my home network. Behind an adequate
(no mission critical data here) firewall, it provides me with the platform
to allow the Oracle database capability required for a dedicated training
and improvement environment. Yes, I could do the same thing on an NT box,
but that would not be as much fun, or as stable.

My linux boxes also provide a stable multiuser environment on the network.
Five other machines have access (I hate that word) to the database and tools
provided. In the end, I also gain a useful WEB server to learn new skills
before testing them on the public, for both myself and my wife (geek in
training). The Oracle WEB tools are growing and improving so quickly, it
seems that all these, once separate, skills are merging into a larger skill
set, raising the stakes for every Oracle developer. There is no rest if you
want to keep up.

Last, learning linux itself is very rewarding. It serves me as an enormous
source of unknown challenges. In this case, the journey has become almost as
valuable as the original goal. My current conundrum was caused by trying to
get my Voodoo3 card to work well in 3D so I could run a dedicated 'Terminus'
server, to play with/against my sons (persistant universe, et al.). Reminds
me of the little boy who needed to get some water from the well, but there
was a hole in the bucket...

I've rambled long enough. Thanks to all for your kind encouragement.
Donn