Why Linux is Hard was Re: duplicate RPMs installed

J.L.Francois jlf@magusnet.gilbert.az.us
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 23:43:48 -0700

This is the kind of stuff I don't understand.

Linux/*NIX/*BSD was never designed to be *like* Windows.
Look at the Kernel Traffic mailings and archived posts from Linus
and you will see that his initial goal was an alternative to
the UNIX systems that existed, not to replace any desktop OS.
That happened later when everyone else jumped on the bandwagon.

From inception the *NIX type OSs were designed for
knowledgeable people to use,deploy,configure, and maintain.
The systems mentioned above were never considered to be used
in an environment where someone without a CS degree would be
handling the system/network admin functions of the OS.

Even Microsoft has to have Certification because registry changes
are not intuitive but no one really complains about those because
the average uncertified Windows user doesn't even know they exist.
Usually they fumble thru the GUI, cross their fingers and if it
works, leave it until it BSODs, and start again.
You can't fake it that way in the *NIX type systems.

Asking for Windows like features for Unix like systems is like asking
for a 3 speed Ferrari with an engine from a Geo Metro or
a color coded mainframe that only runs one process at a time.
Sure it runs, is simpler to maintain and operate but it was never
designed to be operated that way.

I find this fascinating because I consider Oracle to be
an unfriendly database to install and maintain due to the
amount of skill it takes to do it right.
I would not ask a novice to do it and I don't think anyone
is beating on Oracle' door demanding an install that does
not require reading at least one of the manuals.
Oracle/Database tuning is a black art at best.
Kernel tuning is a close second.

In the end you are correct if you want Linux to be an
alternative desktop OS.
However, most people deploying Linux are doing it in server
configurations which changes everything including the required
knowledge level of the deployer.

Let's ask:
How many people on this list that use Linux as a desktop
OS have it *properly* installed in single user mode since all
those extra pesky server daemons aren't needed?

P.S. No apologies necessary for a well worded point of view :)

JLF Sends...

It seems like on Fri, Jul 07, 2000 at 06:57:42AM -0700, Donn Shumway scribbled:
Orig Msg> So, when there is a unified package system (similar to Winblows??) you'll
Orig Msg> join us people who don't have a clue?
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> Get off your high horse and face reality. Not all of the people that use
Orig Msg> linux, bsd, unix, BeOS, etc., use them simply because they want to get under
Orig Msg> the hood. Not everyone is a programmer or a security expert. I use it
Orig Msg> because I like the unixlike interface, the fact that it doesn't crash, the
Orig Msg> feeling of exploration of something new (to me), and most of all, because I
Orig Msg> want a stable platform on which to install an Oracle database (which I DO
Orig Msg> know). I also use the RPMs whenever possible because the Mandrake
Orig Msg> distribution, like Redhat do some things in a somewhat unique way (check the
Orig Msg> location of the html directory in a Mandrake installed version of Apache for
Orig Msg> example). Using the RPMs usually ensures that complications that arise from
Orig Msg> the distributions quirks are kept to a minimum.
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> Those that have to put someone down just to feel important have lost touch
Orig Msg> with the purpose of this or any user group, that is to share our knowledge
Orig Msg> and enjoyment of a common interest. Pardon me for using a tool that someone
Orig Msg> spent countless hours coding to make a more usable solution for us all. If
Orig Msg> you don't like it, or don't use it, useless opinions don't contribute to the
Orig Msg> question at hand. Save the bandwidth.
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> Please pardon my diatribe.
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> Donn