Article in recent 2600 mag

Mike Sheldon msheldon@desertraven.com
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 20:22:41 -0700

This "exploit" requires physical access to the machine. Quite frankly, if an
attacker has physical access to your machine, you've got problems. Linux
boot disks can be used to "attack" linux systems just as easily. It's NOT a
deficiency in the file system.

Two things I always do to prevent this:
  1. Set the boot order such that only the hard drive is in the boot
sequence. (This also prevents a lot of viruses on DOS and Win systems in the
business environment.)
  2. Password-protect the BIOS (administrator password)

This *still* does not protect absolutely against an attacker who has
physical access to the machine, but it does force them to open the case to
do it. (By resetting the BIOS by shorting the jumper, or temporarily
removing the hard-drive to a machine they have root/administrator access
on.)

There's nothing new or unique about this sort of attack.

Michael J. Sheldon
Internet Applications Developer
Phone: 480.699.1084
http://www.desertraven.com/