mail server

Mike Sheldon msheldon@desertraven.com
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 17:02:08 -0700

Sendmail can certainly do all of this. The real question is if sendmail is
overkill, 200 accounts is not that big. While I like sendmail, and have used
it for some time, it is a royal pain to configure properly. Definitely not
for the faint-of-heart.

Qmail is a very popular alternative to sendmail and is supposed to be much
easier to deal with, someone here surely can provide some info on it.

Michael J. Sheldon
Internet Applications Developer
Phone: 480.699.1084
http://www.desertraven.com/
PGP Key Available on Request

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-discuss-admin@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-admin@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us]On Behalf Of Joel
Dudley
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2000 16:44
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: mail server

Hello PLUG,
    My company is currently using an NT based mail server called Post.Office
from software.com.  To be truthful, it stinks and is a resource hog.  They
have agreed to let me install a Linux based mail server.  I do, however,
have a bit of newbieitis when it comes to mail servers on linux.  Will
sendmail be able to replace our server?  Can it to POP and SMTP?  We have
about 200 accounts to move over, will sendmail be able to handle them all??
If not, are there any other mail servers for Linux that can do all of the
above?  Thanks a thousand times in advance.

- Joel Dudley

Linux yellow-belt