routers, gateways, firewalls, dns etc...

J. Francois jlf@magusnet.gilbert.az.us
Sun, 20 Feb 2000 00:15:29 -0700

It seems like on Sun, Feb 20, 2000 at 12:08:28AM -0700, Digital Wokan scribbled:
Orig Msg> Maybe I should look into Linux VPN stuff again.  Someone said they were
Orig Msg> doing it.  Maybe if they sent some very detailed instructions on
Orig Msg> combining IP Masq with VPN or PPTP...  (PPTP server being an NT4 box.)
Orig Msg>

Go to www.freshmeat.net and type in VPN and PPTP for a search.
vpnd and FreeS/WAN are the two I would take the closest look at
for a business LAN/WAN config.
I have not tried the PPTP stuff yet so I am not sure how well it works.

It would still be cheaper to build a Linux machine and buy a Linux
based VPN product than going the Cisco route.
Although I have to say that it is hard to beat a dedicated Cisco router
depending on how your bandwidth is being used.

ObBlasphemy: the *BSDs have some pretty good VPN support as well.

Jean Francois
President & CEO MagusNet, Inc.
MagusNet.com
CTO EBIZ Enterprises, Inc.
TheLinuxStore.com,TheLinuxLab.com,LinuxWired.net