How do I mark blocks as bad with e2fsck?

Ken Bowley johann@trod.org
Sat, 5 Feb 2000 18:55:49 -0700 (MST)

I'm being lazy by not looking through the source of e2fsck and badblocks
to figure this out on my own, but I was hoping that someone would be able
to help me with this one.

I have a drive that seems to work perfectly fine, except for getting these
error messages from the kernel when it attempts to access a specific block
on the drive. I've run badblocks on the partition (even got the nice error
message from the kernel when badblocks hit the offending block), but it
didn't report anything as being bad.  Looking through the man page for
e2fsck, it says to feed it the file created by badblocks in order for it
to add blocks to the table of blocks not to be used, but since badblocks
doesn't want to believe that there is anything wrong, I'm currently stuck
here slaming my head against the drive in the hopes that it will get
better. :)

Now for the simple form of the question:

	Does anyone know the format of the file created	by badblocks that
	can be passed to e2fsck for marking blocks as bad?

 Ken Bowley                                        johann@trod.org
 AKA: Lord Johann                              http://www.trod.org
-=-=-=-=-=[ Linux, the choice of the GNU generation ]=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-