ImageMagick as user install

jkenner@mindspring.com jkenner@mindspring.com
Fri, 08 Dec 2000 01:42:28 -0500

Well, since you dont have root on the box, that might be very difficult. You could try to obtain the proper libaries and install them in your own directory, and go thru the program, changing its configuration to point to those libraries. All in all sounds like quite a bit of work.

If the system admin can be convinced to add older libs for compatibility (and can address any security risks it imposes, if it does?) that may work. Convinving the system admin to go the other way, that is to take a fully functional production box and add glibc support to it, will be far more difficult. And if you do convince said admin may forever regret it. It can be a _major_ hassle.

It sounds like your system at home is the newer of the two installs, and the program your trying to compile needs some function of the newer libraries. It was these sort of backwards incompatibilities in many modern programs that finally prompted me to start looking for something else.

RedHat 6.2 is working very smoothly with my old binaries so far, although I did have the option of installing compatibility with the ELF format.. this option wasnt in Storm RAIN, and trying to run an old binary resulted in the not found error... I have a number of little gripes about RH6.2 that I will post when I have completed the list, but so far, the biggest bug I have nailed down is the l. alias to list all the dotfiles in a directory. They have:

alias l.='ls .[A-Za-z]*'

it really ought to be

alias l.='ls .[0-z]*'

or at the very least...

alias l.='ls .[0-9A-Za-z]*'

plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us wrote:
> Ok, how to fix it and get the program to work?

> plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us wrote:
> >It's complaining that it can't find the proper .so libraries
>

> yeah, we can blame the people who defected from the libc system (to the
glibc system) in the mid to late 90s for that major problem.