gnome and kde

plug@arcticmail.com plug@arcticmail.com
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 21:45:42 -0700

I don't know if this is related or not, but
I installed FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE + GNOME + gdm
the other day, and since the system had a
keyboard with Windoze keys I selected "pc104"
keyboard instead of "pc101".

Anyway, things were pretty horked up.  In the
gdm login window, I could only type a few
characters before it locked up.  After rebooting,
I set the DISPLAY environment variable, ran "X &",
from a virtual terminal, switched back to the
virtual terminal that I started "X" from,
ran "xterm &", switched back to the virtual
terminal that the X server was running on,
brought the xterm client in focus, and tried
typing.  It locked up again in this VERY simple
X state (One X server, one X client, zero
window management), so methinks this JLF security
feature lies within the code of the pc104 driver.

I vi'd the X server config file, changed to good
ol' pc101, and I typed happily ever af