End of my rope with PPP

Rusty Carruth rustyc@descomp.com
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 12:34:18 -0700 (MST)

First, a few questions.

DO they only have one ISP?  (inficad - which just happens to be mine also)

Do you want dial-on-demand?  Always-on?   random crashes? ;-)

(sorry, that 3rd choice is just hunger speaking ;-)

> a "product" when I see one, and this is not one.  It

Hmm.  Sounds like a RH-7.0 issue - I'm using mandrake
and it was pretty much trivial, as I recall.

> makes me sad, but dialup networking is the main use
> they want to make of this thing, and they don't want to
> hack root each time they dial in.
>
> So I went the KDE route and it connected, but
> hung up immediately.  Very Redmondian behavior.

Have you turned 'debug' on so you can see what
is happening in the chat script?

WARNING - Inficad does NOT present a 'normal'
login prompt - there is NO trailing ':' - you
will fail miserably if you look for 'login:'
(and I forget about 'password' or 'password:')

> activate interface".  When I tried again, rp3
> reported a segmentation error.

Is anyone else usin gRH7.0?  I'm not using rp3 on
my mandrake system, which looks like this:

  324 ?        S      0:00 /sbin/ppp-watch ifcfg-ppp0 boot
19545 ttyS0    S      0:00  \_ /usr/sbin/pppd -detach lock modem crtscts asyncma

> Where are all those wizards Eric Raymond is always
> talking about?

Dunno if I'm a wizard, but I've managed to get connected to just
about all the idiot ISP's I've tried (I cannot remenber
any failures right now, but there may be one ;-)

> Any diagnostic advice will be greatly
> appreciated!

You want to be sure to run pppd and chat with the logging options
turned on so you can see what is going on between you and the ISP.
Output goes into /var/log/messages (usually - you MAY have to hack
your syslog.conf to get it there)

> Some specific info is appended to this
> message, regarding my rp3 attempts. If I can't get it
> done this coming weekend, I will allow this machine to
> be assimilated -- not my machine, not my decision.

Horrors!  ;-)

> Thanks,
>
> Vic

> I don't know what version information would be helpful,

I'm a little disturbed by having two ppp interfaces, maybe
its a rp3 thing.  Anybody else using rp3 and have a clue?

rusty