Question marks in place of single quotes

Shawn T. Rutledge rutledge@cx47646-a.phnx1.az.home.com
Sun, 20 Aug 2000 01:50:44 -0700

On Sat, Aug 19, 2000 at 11:19:33PM -0700, Lucas Vogel wrote:
> I remember a discussion some time ago about why single quotes become
> question marks in web pages. Unfortunately, all i remember about the

I don't remember the discussion, but my guess is you're viewing the
page with a different font than the one used when creating it,
and the app in which you created the web page replaced the apostrophe
with a single quote pointing in one direction or the other (some fonts
provide directional quote marks as well as the usual ones as found on
your keyboard).  X fonts tend to use question mark glyphs for ASCII
codes which aren't defined in the particular codepage that the font
uses.  I think if you type apostrophes into HTML in a plain text editor,
they work fine.  Check the html and see if it has &something; where the
single quote was supposed to be, or some other sign of a weird ASCII value.

--
  _______                   Shawn T. Rutledge / KB7PWD  ecloud@bigfoot.com
 (_  | |_)          http://www.bigfoot.com/~ecloud  kb7pwd@kb7pwd.ampr.org