Safe Mode Errors

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 22:51:06 -0700 (MST)

Am 16. Aug, 2000 schwäzte dwacks@saleslogix.com so:

> We use RedHat 6.2, MySQL, PHP 3.x and have 5 developers. Each logs in under
> their own name. They are part of the same group (website).
>
> All of the websites are stored under the /www/sitename directory. All pages
> are owned by Webdude and group .website
>
> If a developer modifies an existing page, there is not a problem.
>
> However, if they create a new page it sets the ownership to them and then
> (seemingly randomly) when trying to access the page we get a safe mode
> violation.

Dave,

if the fix pointed out by Mark doesn't work (it looks like it only affects
perms, not ownership anyway), try making the dirs set GID.

chmod -R g+s /www/sitename

Then fix group ownership

chgrp -R webgroup /www/sitename

All in one

for i in list of sites
do
chmod -R g+s /www/$i
chgrp -R webgroup /www/$i
done

> Note: most access the pages via Homesite connected thru a SMB connection.
> e.g. the linux box has an SMB point called www, the developers connect (via
> windows 2000/NT) and map the drive. All changes are using Homesite.

I've heard of probs due to SMB, but don't know anything about that.

> To fix the problem, we have to set the owner, group, and permissions. Then
> it is fine.

If all else fails, can you get Homesite to automagically kick a script
whenever an update is done? If so, do perms via the script :).

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.Opnix.com
#  Magic is science unexplained. - der.hans