Parental Controls and Linux (collation by sinck)

sinck@ugive.com sinck@ugive.com
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 08:23:09 -0700 (MST)

\_ Brian Cluff wrote
\_ > [JLF]
\_ > Let's be reasonable.
\_ > I have an 8 yo girl and 16 month old son.
\_ > How I decide to monitor/filter their access is my parental right
\_ > and how anyone else does it is theirs.
\_ > I am all for parents doing *anything* to monitor access.

Monitoring is cool.  The retro active smite is a good idea.  If you
were a youngster, would you care to explain just why you were looking
at whatever to your parent(s) when aforementioned are obviously *not*
pleased *and* have the goods on you?

\_ > The INternet was not built for children so lets keep that in perspective.
Yup.  But also, if they are old enough to be asking (even if it's the
Internet that they are asking) then they probably have real questions
that need real answers.  Ya just gotta be the first one they ask.

\_ With the attitudes that some people have, you would think they would expect
\_ you to tell your kids not to do drugs their entire lives, then expect you to
\_ leave lines of coke on the coffee table all the time, because after all, if
\_ you have taught your children correctly, they is no way they are going to
\_ touch that coke.... at least till your not looking.

Hummm.  Now there's an interesting point I hadn't considered fully.  I
obviously don't leave dangerous substances/tools in reach of
youngsters, and I do know that I can easily block a whole bevy of
so-called adult sites.  Hmmm.  I think I'm going to have to have a
good thunk on this one.

\_ [some parents have a hard] time keeping [kids] off the computer, as
\_ [the kids] were very computer savey and were unsupervised for a couple
\_ hours after school till their parents came home.
Teach the parents about BIOS passwords.  :-)

Quoth Mike Starke
\_ [...] I have met David's children, so I know
\_ he is doing a good job, they;re great kids. [...]
Thanks, though I'm only half the troops.  My wife spends much more
time with the kids than I do (this work thing keeps getting in the
way), and she's got as much or more to do with the kids being decent
than I do.

Perhaps the best solution to parental filtering thoughts is called
(Scrabble or Uno or Monopoly) and a cold quiet computer.  :-)

David