FORWARDING ???

Patrick Stoddard wd9ewk@yahoo.com
Sat, 29 Apr 2000 17:47:59 -0700 (PDT)

Hi!

> use port forwarding. I believe PC Anywhere uses port 5832 & 5833
> (can't
> really check this out right now but it can be verified by 'opening a
> copy of
> PC Anywhere).  Set the ipchains/masq firewall to port forward it
> directly to
> the computer on the internal network (by ip address).

Newer pcAnywhere versions use TCP and UDP ports 5631 and 5631.  There
are several other ports in use for the older (pre 7.0, maybe) versions
of pcAnywhere.

> kinda like this...
>
> #echo "  * Forwarding SSH traffic on port 26 to 192.168.0.5"
> /usr/sbin/ipmasqadm portfw -a -P tcp -L $EXTIP 26 -R 192.168.0.5 22

As a note, if you are running Red Hat on your firewall box, you will
need to download the ipmasqadm RPM or tarball separately - Red Hat
doesn't supply it in the install CD.  Once you have that, here is a
snippet from a friend's firewall who does the same thing (except he
wants to allow anything on the net to get through to those 4 ports
on the PC behind the wall):

/usr/sbin/ipmasqadm autofw -A -r tcp 5631 5632 -h 10.10.1.128
/usr/sbin/ipmasqadm autofw -A -r udp 5631 5632 -h 10.10.1.128

The suggestion from the previous message should be sufficient for
allowing only specified machines access to the ports, substituting
the TCP and UDP ports 5631 and 5632.

And, as alluded to in the previous message, with this sort of hole
punched in the firewall, that means the machine running pcAnywhere
is only as secure as the pcAnywhere program is configured and the
level of security in the game loader (OS) on that system running
pcAnywhere.

Patrick