SprintPCS Wireless Web

Nathan Saper natedog@well.com
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 07:14:41 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 23 Apr 2000, der.hans wrote:

> Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 22:34:36 -0700 (MST)
> From: der.hans <PLUGd@lufthans.com>
> To: PLUG <plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us>
> Subject: Re: SprintPCS Wireless Web
>
> On Sat, 22 Apr 2000, Nathan Saper wrote:

> > Comrades:
> >
> > I just purchased a new SprintPCS phone with the Wireless Web, and I was
> > wondering if anyone knows if there are drivers availalble which would
> > allow me to hook up my new phone to my laptop?  I was told by the salesman
> > that the only drivers available were Windows, but, as always, I figured
> > people here would be much more knowldgeable about such matters.
>
> Drivers? We don't need no steenking drivers! :)
>
> Well, OK, this is only in theory thus far. Use a data connection kit to
> plug the phone into the serial port, then use normal ppp for a serial
> modem. Sprint claims they're getting 14,400 and that should be going up
> this summer (maybe all the way to 56k).

This sounds good, but I don't want to go out and buy the cable if I'm not
sure it will work.  Does anyone know the specifics for my phone (Motorola
StarTAC Dual Band)?

> Same method should work for PDAs that can hookup to a db9. Might need a
> gender bender for that.
>
> Have you found any wireless URLs that work aside from the handful of one's
> they've sold? I couldn't give a rat's ass about what amazon or espn have,
> but there are some other places I'd like to be able to get to. My few
> attempts thus far have failed.

Nope, I haven't found any others so far.  On a somewhat separate note, do
you think it would be possible to create a wireless website that had a
backend to convert standard websites to the wireless format (in effect
browsing the standard web using the wireless site as a sort of proxy)?
This was done with the PalmVII to allow the wireless browsing of standard
websites.