What happened to linux HOWTOs

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Sun, 23 Apr 2000 22:23:09 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 21 Apr 2000, James Lee Bell wrote:

> Wait wait.  Are you saying here that *Netscape* caches DNS entries?
> Really? I didn't know that it's caching applied to DNS entries, just
> thought it cached pages, graphics, and related according to address.
> Sorry about b/w waste but this surprised me.

I've presumed that's what "dns helper" is for.

sh-2.01$ ps aux | grep "dns"
lufthans 21116  0.0  0.7  9696  1928  pc S   Apr  3   0:00 (dns helper)

If it weren't caching stuff it wouldn't need that as there's nothing to do
but resolver calls and some error checking.

You'd think they'd need that on other OSes where things don't work so well
as opposed to on *NIXen, though.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.OpNIX.com
#  Like the maid, I don't do (M$)Windows. - der.hans