Computer donations

Trent Shipley TShipley@Prodigy.net
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 22:30:45 -0700

> Message: 5
> From: "Cindy Fox" <cindyfox@home.com>
> To: <plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us>
> Subject: Re: Computer donations
> Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 00:09:05 -0700
> charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> Excellent Analysis and hits true on a lot of topics I've experienced as a
> student, administrator and instructor at the community college level.
>
> So much potential, so much apathy, so much fear.  :(
>
> It is too bad.  :(
>
> Thanks for sharing the analysis.  :)  Hey, why the PhD if you want to work
> in computers?   :)

No, I WANT to do anthropology, but have you actually ever heard of anyone
who wanted to hire an anthropologist.

I haven't.

I figure a Ph.D. in cultural anthropology who is fortunate enough to have a
job, and a high school graduate with a Cisco certification or a graduate
with an A.A. in CIS probably all have comprable salaries.

The difference is that the one-trick-ponies with certificates in information
technology have a much easier time finding employment.

I do not work with computers because I love them.  I program computers
because I am adicted to food and a reasonably competent programmer.

(Actually, I like computers.  I like them a lot . . . just not nearly as
much as anthropology, or history, or economics, or lit crit. . .)