setting up 256mb in debian

Kevin O'Connor kevin_oconnor.geo@yahoo.com
Thu, 06 Apr 2000 23:07:33 -0700

Kansir wrote:

> I'm having some trouble setting up my 256dimm in debian(corel).. I've tried
> adding the append="mem=256M" in the lilo config. But it still only see about
> 64mb in my memory display on KDE. does any one have any idea's you can E-mail
> to me in what I could try? I'm still kinda new, so at a few detail that might
> help.
> Thanx
> Icegryphon@netscape.net
> Matthew Golabiewski

I am not sure if you have the line in the right place. You should also
make sure that you don't tell Linux about more memory than it can really
get. It is usually a good idea to hold back a meg or so just to be sure.

Below is a copy of lilo.conf off of one of my machines. In this case it
is a Red-Hat 5.2 box with 384 MB and booting off of the first IDE HD.
Note the location of the append line in the prompt section.

boot = /dev/hda
timeout = 70
linear
prompt
  default = linux
  vga = normal
  append = "mem=382M"
  read-only
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
image = /boot/vmlinuz-2.0.36-0.7
  label = linux
  root = /dev/hda13
other = /dev/hda1
  label = dos
  table=/dev/hda

I hope this is of help to you...
--
Kevin O'Connor

"Waving away a cloud of smoke, I look up, and am blinded by a bright,
white
light. It's God. No, not Richard Stallman, or Linus Torvalds, but God.
In
a booming voice, He says: "THIS IS A SIGN. USE LINUX, THE FREE UNIX
SYSTEM
FOR THE 386."
(Matt Welsh)