Workstations

Bob George qvj3yeleisnvknl4mdj5@proxymate.com
Sun, 2 Apr 2000 23:50:14 -0700

"Nathan Saper" <natedog@well.com> wrote:

> P.S. It must support both 10BaseT (for connecting to my NeXTStation) and
> 100BaseT (for connecting to my laptop and my network), and PC printer
> support would be a plus.

That part, at least, shouldn't be a significant issue. Just set aside
$100-200 for a 10/100 switch and you can intermix devices of both speeds at
will. 5 port switches are easily had for $130, 8 for about $170. In addition
to handling the speed differences, a switch is also a great way to hook up
multiple devices. Dual-speed hubs are marginally less expensive, but you
lose the capability of doing full-duplex. Not much of an issue with only two
devices at different speeds admittedly!

- Bob